Friday, May 13, 2011

When You Can't Help but Mess it up!

I knew Thursday was going to be a challenge day for me. First, on Thursdays I eat breakfast with the pastors in our area. Usually, I bring a protein bar, but today I was the cook. I cooked the usual for the preachers-bacon, eggs, grits, biscuits and gravy, with powdered donuts for desert. Since I was the cook that day, I cooked egg beaters, toasted two pieces of double fiber bread, and I had a helping of the grits seasoned with Splenda (Grits are a natural carb). So my meal combination was a lean protein (Egg Beaters), fibrous carb (Double Fiber Wheat Bread) and a natural carb (grits). Oh yes, I topped my toast with Walden Farm's Apple Butter spread. Yummy!!

Next was lunch. Since it was our anniversary and since my wife had to work that night and I had been given comp tickets to attend a pro-life banquet in Etowah County, we knew the evening was out. So, she accompanied me to Gadsden to make a hospital visit. While in Gadsden, we stopped for lunch at Red Lobster. While I really wanted to cheat, I decided to stick to my plan. So I ordered broiled flounder, broccoli, and salad. I removed the croutons, They did not have a fat-free dressing so I used a little of the ranch dressing. (I should have brought my own dressing, but oh well.)

The evening was the big unknown. As I said, I had been invited to a banquet, but I had no idea what was on the menu. I managed to squeeze in 20 minutes on the Elliptical machine to burn a few calories. Plus, I drank a Celsius Green Tea, which is supposed to burn 100 calories! I planned to bring a protein bar with me to the banquet, but forgot.

When I arrived and saw the food I knew I was in trouble. I was sure they would have the standard fare, but they didn't. The buffet line consisted of Country Fried Steak, Gravy, Mashed Potatoes with Butter, Gravy, Green Beans, Coleslaw, rolls and an array of pies. Basically, the only thing I could eat guilt-free was the green beans (I didn't know what was in the coleslaw mix, but you can rest assured it was not overly healthy!)

I didn't feel like going my table with a plate of beans and water, so I decided to blow it!  I got the Country Fried Steak and topped it with the gravy, the mashed potatoes (but I skipped the gravy), lots of green beans (trying to slow down the digestion as much as possible so my body could burn off as much as the fat as possible), coleslaw and I finished it off with Coconut Cream pie.

I enjoyed every bite! The food was delicious. The banquet was phenomenal with great music and a very engaging and powerful speaker.

My wife had fixed some low-fat cupcakes for our anniversary. We calculated her recipe and determined that one cupcake could qualify as a snack. Since I had just blown it for the day, I decided to have a cupcake topped with low-fat cool whip when I got home that night. 

The next morning I got the on scales bracing myself for a 1-2lbs weight gain. Instead, I only gained .2lbs!!

Why did I gain so little? I am not completely sure, but I have a some possible explanations. First, I had eaten been eating healthy for several days in a row allowing my body to be in a fat-burning mode right up until that evening meal. Second, I had exercised hard for twenty minutes and burned more calories. Third, I had a Celsius drink trying to push my body to burn even more calories.

The downside is that it may take my body a good day or two to completely enter back into optimal fat-burning mode. Today, I am back on task. While it may be Sunday before I am in optimal fat-burning mode, I hope to at least lose that extra .2lbs I gained by tomorrow. (Remember, the rule to losing weight is to burn more calories than you take in. The menus I give you will cause you to go into optimal fat-burning mode within 48 hours if you drink water (1/2 your body weight in ounces), watch your portions and eat within 1 hour of waking, 3-6 hours between meals, and no more than 2 hours before bed.)

Here's to losing weight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment